Saturday, June 30, 2012

Leaving the legacy...

We all have felt like Sisyphus.  Pushing the boulder up a steep hill, which increases in both slope and weight. As a father of three (and an influence on another important child in my life), I don't ever want my children to feel like that.  I can't always be there for them and I shouldn't be.  They need to learn through their own struggles.  When I was in Boy Scouts, I went to both the Handbook and the Fieldbook continuously. The point I went when I need to do in the act of utilizing reference.  I don't pretend as though I know a tremendous amount of information which could be deemed as useful; but it is amazing what you accumulate after living 40 plus years.  I have created "Life Handbook" binders for each of my children. Each year, I write a letter to each child, summarizing our experiences after one year.  To document our growth, goals and life.  The content of the book is a compilation of the things I think they may need to know in life. I make photocopies from magazines and books.   Notes and writings from my personal life that I have found useful.  Topics range from how to identify birds, how to handle emergencies, how to apply and interview for a job, what records, film and books I am inspired by, how to date, to find a mate, how to respect others, auto maintenance, etc.  This guide will never substitute real experience and what life dishes out.  It is not meant as a substitute, but as I have said before, a reference.  I don't have many good ideas in my life, but I am very happy with this one. I think one day my kids will really appreciate it.  It is a way to make another connection with them.  To leave a portion of legacy.  To have them avoid the Sisyphean situations as much as possible

.

No comments:

Post a Comment